Gardening is something that I have struggled with in previous years. I have even referred to myself as having a “wilted green thumb” on several occassions. This is because I didn’t take the proper steps to prepare myself and my garden for productive seasons. I didn’t even look to experienced friends for gardening tips.
My husband & I tried to grow way too many varieties, we did not research enough, we didn’t amend our soil, I forgot to water (we will blame mommy brain), and everything died except the okra…I am convinced that okra is impossible to kill.
Looking back on my mistakes inspired me to share some tips with people who are just starting out on their gardening journey. After carefully reviewing my gardening mishaps & researching to get the best resources for you I came up with seven things that beginning gardeners should do before getting started.
7 Gardening Tips for Beginners
1. Find a Mentor
2. Research & Plan
3. Test & Amend the Soil
4. Pick a Reputable Seed Company
5. Decide on Pest & Weed Control
6. Make Your Own Compost
7. Don’t Forget to Water!
The full 7 Steps for Beginning Gardeners post can be found as a guest post on Strong Country Living. I hope you will hop over there, check out the tips, and let me know what you think!
You can download my Compost Guide in the Member Resource Library for free!
Are you a seasoned gardener with gardening tips or resources that you would like to see added to my list?
Are you a beginning gardener with more questions & concerns?
Leave a comment or send me a message so we can chat about it!
Check out these garden planning resources!
- Garden Planning Calculator from Seeds for Generations covers the information your need for optimal yields with 46 different crop types.
- Garden Planning Webinar also offered by Seeds for Generations will help you to make the most out of your garden this year.
- The Ultimate Gardening Notebook by Schneider Peeps contains tons of gardening information plus worksheets to keep your garden at tip top production!
- The Art of Gardening: Building Your Soil has great information on building healthy soil, a nutrient dense vegetable guide, and recipes to use the vegetables in!
- Our Stoney Acres– Gardening expert Rick Stone offers an Online Gardening School that is sure to increase your knowledge, efficiency, & yields!
- The Homestead Mama’s Planning Pack– This pack has record-keeping sheets (over 80 of them!) for you home, farm, and homeschool. There is an entire section dedicated to the garden.
Download this FREE Garden Planting Log in the Member Resource Library to help you ones keep track of the seeds that you sow! You can find many more farm printables in the Homestead Mama’s Planning Pack!