Easter has become the new Christmas in the commercialized society that we live in. The eternally significant meaning of the holiday has been tucked away behind the bunny & the eggs (bunnies don’t even lay eggs, y’all) for far too long. There is nothing wrong with Easter egg hunts & having some fun…we participate in that stuff too, but families have gotten so caught up in the “fun & magic” that they leave out the Truth & Light. As for me & my house, we will remember the sacrifice that Christ made and the events that led up to that Sacrifice before we open any sugar-filled eggs. There are 6 Easter Activities (one per day) that I really love to use with my kids to help them visualize the pre-Ressurection timeline…
6 Days of Easter Activities
Day 1: Anointing of Jesus at Bethany
- Read- Mark 14:3-9
- Activity- Mix & dilute your favorite essential oils (I use these) in a small jar. Place some wooden skewers in the jar to diffuse the scent into your room.
- Discuss- the significance of the woman using an expensive oil on Jesus.
Day 2: Palm Sunday/Triumphant Entry
- Read- Mark 11:1-10
- Activity- Clean out a few (at least 3) tin cans. Write messages like “Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord” and “Hosanna” on the cans. Poke a hole in the bottom center of each can and put a ribbon or string through each hole. You will need to tie a knot or place a washer at the end of the string on the inside of the can so it doesn’t fall out. Tie the strings together to make a wind chime.
- Discuss- the loud sounds made by the crowd as Jesus made his entry into the city.
Day 3: Jesus washed the feet of His disciples
- Read- Luke 22:24-30
- Activity- Wash your children feet.
- Discuss- the significance of a master washing the feet of his servants in Jesus’ time.
Day 4: Last Supper/Passover Meal
- Read- Matthew 26:17-30
- Activity- Make a Messianic seder meal complete with homemade Matzah bread.
- Discuss- the significance of each part of the meal (especially the bread & cup).
Day 5: Good Friday
- Read- Mark 15:17-20
- Activity- Tape purple ribbon in the shape of a cross to your window or paint a purple cross.
- Discuss- the significance of the color purple & the mocking of Jesus during the Cruxifixction.
Day 6: Resurrection Day!
- Read- Matthew 28:1-8
- Activity- Make Resurrection Rolls! I used this recipe and it worked great!
- Discuss- the significance of the Resurrection & the empty tomb.