Tall flaky biscuits & white pepper gravy are necessary food in Tennessee. I will admit that it took me a couple of years (yikes) to start making biscuits & gravy from scratch. I tried to make from scratch white gravy in my first year of marriage… I served what was essentially a bowl of flour to my husband and, bless his sweet heart, he choked it down and pretended to like it. Eventually, I got up the nerve to try cooking gravy again and my recipe got progressively better.
I am happy with my current gravy making abilities, but until this last month I was still struggling with my from scratch biscuits. Biscuits in a can were my best friend for this weekly meal because I just couldn’t get my homemade recipe right…until now:):)
Homemade Flaky Biscuits
Making biscuits from scratch sounds really time consuming and messy. Mamas are super busy & have plenty of messes to clean up already so who has time for that?
…BUT this recipe only calls for 6 ingredients… You only need 1 bowl, 1 whisk, 1 baking sheet, and 1 rolling pin…and it only takes about 20-25 minutes from start to finish!
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1/3 c shortening or butter
- 1 c milk
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or iron skillet.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together until combined.
- Cut in the shortening or butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and mix until well combined and then add the remainder of the milk.
- Once you have worked your mixture into a soft dough, place the dough on a floured surface. I floured a sheet of parchment paper to keep my counters a little cleaner.
- Knead the dough adding flour as needed.
- Roll it out with a rolling pin until you reach your desired thickness. I prefer around 1/4″-1/2″.
- Use the rim of a glass or a round biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits.
- Place biscuits on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 F for about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Enjoy the fruits (or carbs) of your labor!
**We don’t only eat these delicious, tall, flaky biscuits paired with white pepper gravy… My husband likes to eat them with peanut butter. My son likes to layer butter & jelly in the middle. My 2 year old daughter loves a home grown bacon & biscuit sandwich. Sometimes we even eat them plain as snacks (hello, added inches to my waistline :/ ).
How do you like your biscuits?