The church that we joined last year is a big proponent of its members doing life together. They have several different Homegroups to help us achieve this sense of community. My Homegroup meets each Sunday after church for lunch at the gorgeous farmhouse owned by one of our elders & his wife. We have lunch potluck style, hang out together, and have Bible study. One of the first times I attended this group I volunteered to make cornbread. I was excited to impress my new friends with an awesome skillet cornbread in the skillet I had just acquired from my sweet mama.
I started making the cornbread without checking my pantry first…jumping the gun is a vice of mine…and I realized that I had no cornmeal in my house. Good thing I have honed my empty pantry cooking skills- remember my Honey Butter Roll snafu?? After a little scrounging, this super moist Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread was born. Our Homegroup friends loved it and there was none left to bring home after Bible study. I call that a big, accidental, tasty win!
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
You will need less than 10 ingredients for this recipe and you probably have all of it in your pantry already!
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs (try to find a local farmer for fresh eggs)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup honey (use local honey if you can)
- Preheat your oven too 450.
- Stir the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat the rest of the ingredients together.
- Blend the dry mix into the wet mix until combined.
- Pour into your seasoned iron skillet (or pie pan). I use an 8″ Lodge Skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden and the bread is cooked through.
Serve this cornbread with chili or white beans, use it as a side to a southern meat & 3, or just melt a pad of butter on a hot slice & prepare to be amazed:)
Seriously, this is the best cornbread that I have ever made (or tasted) and I really hope you enjoy it like I do!