Modern medicine is not taboo around our home and farm, but we opt for natural remedies when possible. Natural medicine is nice because it can be grown on-farm and it is derived from God-given resources. God created every plant for a reason and I like to put them to their proper uses. Natural goat care has been my primary focus since we started raising dairy goats a little over two years ago. There are lots of herbs, essential oils, and common pantry items that can be used to keep your goats happy and healthy…read on for a helpful little list 🙂
*This list is not comprehensive, but it includes those solutions that I find most helpful.
Natural Goat Care Solutions
- Red Raspberry Leaf helps in pregnancy, labor, and lactation.
- Garlic is a multi-purpose herb that is most often used as a dewormer.
- Oregano has antibacterial properties that can fight off illnesses.
- Comfrey heals bones & skin following injuries.
- Slippery Elm Bark soothes digestive & respiratory issues.
- Peppermint Oil repels flies, induces milk letdown, and treats mastitis.
- Tea Tree Oil is a strong antibacterial that disinfects and heals many different skin ailments.
- Lavender Oil has a calming effect on nervous & stressed animals.
- Oregano Oil helps to ward off illnesses.
Keep Molasses on hand for a quick and natural energy boost. Mix a little molasses into a doe’s water after she has given birth or make treats with molasses mixed in.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Add a splash of ACV to your goats’ water bucket for overall health & to keep the water clean.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Do you know the natural goat care solutions (herbs, essential oils, and common pantry items) that can be used to keep your goat herd happy and healthy? #Goats #GoatCare #Livestock #NaturalAnimalCare #NaturalSolutions #Homesteading” quote=”Do you know the natural goat care solutions (herbs, essential oils, and common pantry items) that can be used to keep your goat herd happy and healthy? ” theme=”style2″]
My Favorite Natural Goat Care Products & Recipes
BiteMe! Goat Treats
I am not an herbalist and I haven’t mastered any DIY herbal solutions so I use BiteMe! herbal treats. These treats are pre-made & formulated for specific preventative measures and treatments.
- Squirmy Wormy for deworming
- Mineral Mojo for Copper & Selenium deficiency
- Baby Mama for pregnant does
- Belly Buddy to soothe the digestive tract
- Funk Fixer for immune system support
- Milk Money to increase milk production
Downed Goat Recipe
We use this recipe when we have a sick goat that can’t get up. It provides strength & energy for the goat to stand up for a better chance at recovery.
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 1 can of ripe, stout beer
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
Blend into a soup and get it down the goat (you might have to force feed with a syringe). Feed as many times as needed to get the goat back up.
Natural Goat Care Resources
“Natural Goat Care” by Pat Coleby
This book is a highly recommended resource to help you dive a little deeper into caring for your herd naturally.
Molly’s Herbals provides pre-made natural goat medicines and tons of information on herbs and supplements for goats.
*This information does not replace professional advice.